Hiya. It’s getting late on a Friday, I’ve been home making parts all evening (save for seeing Ate9 dance company perform Jodie Landau’s mouth to mouth, which was awesome), and I suddenly feel an urge to make a list of my top ten records. This list changes over time, but everything on tonight’s version has stuck around and been a favorite for at least a few years, if not much, much longer. And the order beyond the first one doesn’t actually matter that much.
- Refused – The Shape of Punk to Come
- Radiohead – Kid A
- Stravinsky – The Rite of Spring (Esa Pekka Salonen/LA Phil recording)
- The Weakerthans – Left and Leaving
- Steve Reich – Music for Eighteen Musicians
- NoFX – Punk in Drublic
- Olivier Messiaen – Turangalila (Riccardo Chailly/Royal Concertgebouw recording)
- Broken Social Scene – You Forgot It In People
- The Mae Shi – HLLYH
- Titus Andronicus – The Monitor
I probably should have put Charles Mingus’s The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady somewhere in there.
I realize I haven’t updated this blog in a super long time. Life’s been busy. I’ve been spending more time writing pieces and organizing concerts than I’ve spent updating the website. Think I’m gonna re-organize the works page soon to reflect what I’ve been up to and interest in more recently, and I’ll do another blog post with a bunch of recent exciting news. In the meantime, listen to all of these many many times and you will be a better human being as a result.